Copyright 2010 by Jonathan Louis May. All rights reserved. Federal copyright law prohibits unauthorized reproduction by any means.

Friday, November 19, 2010

In the beginning...

As they say, what better place to start than the beginning. I'm not going to go all the way back to a time when my father should have started a blog, but I suppose some background is in order. For context if nothing else.

I'm 27-years-old. I was born and raised in Memphis, Tennessee. I come from a long line of "two child" families which means the family is pretty small. Maybe this will put it in perspective: I have one first cousin, and he is 16 years younger. I have one sister, a couple of years younger.

I have been "on the path" my whole life. I went straight from high-school to the University of Alabama (Roll Tide). I graduated a semester early with a B.A. in Political Science and spent six months working with a prominent law firm in Memphis. I then headed to Knoxville, Tennessee where I earned a law degree. I took and passed the bar, found a great job with a great firm and moved back home to Memphis.

While in Knoxville I met a girl and fell in love. We moved to Memphis, got engaged and in June, 2009 we got married. As tends to happen, it didn't work. We separated and divorced after ten months, filing the paperwork on our first anniversary. In July, 2010 the State of Tennessee again recognized my independence and I began dating.

In September, 2010 I met a great woman and we began dating. I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a spoiler to say we also began doing other things - hence this blog.

It's funny the way the Universe seems so disinterested in the minutia of our lives in the execution of it's plan. It's almost as if I was scheduled to be a father in July, 2011 regardless of my relationship status. So here I am.

I decided to write this blog after a trip to the bookstore the day after I found out we were pregnant. There are a few books which purport to be written for the father-to-be. They are really just about how to stay out of your wife's way - good advice, but not what I was looking for that day.

Certainly nobody had a book on the shelf for a pseudo-boyfriend father-to-be. This blog may never change that, but I figure I ought to tell my story on the off chance somebody else may want to read it.

I guess that's enough for the time being. I guess the next thing to do is tell you about how I found out.

No comments:

Post a Comment